SCR of St. Cloud was founded as St. Cloud Refrigeration in 1957 by Don Fitch. In 1968, the land for the original building was purchased and the first building was constructed two years later. In 1985, Mike Fitch and Pat Welty purchased the company. The following year, our first warehouse was built. In 1991, we expanded our storage facility and added a work area to service our vehicle fleet. A second warehouse was constructed in 1994, and in 1995 the main building was enlarged to house additional office space and to upgrade our sheet metal shop.
The SCR Family of Companies strives to be the premier commercial/industrial provider of turn-key engineering, design and installation with a full spectrum of services provided by our valued employees to our customers in the following fields:
- Building Automation
- Food Service Equipment
- Service & Maintenance
- Energy Management
SCR has seen steady growth since its inception over 50 years ago. In 1983, we started Mechanical Energy Systems as a residential heating and air conditioning company. We expanded our service area northward with the establishment in 1995 of Mid-State Refrigeration, our northern division in the Brainerd - Baxter MN area. We have since added another division in Rochester, Mankato, Northwinds Refrigeration (est. 2002) and our Central / Metro Division allows us to deliver quick service to the Twin Cities metropolitan and suburban areas.
SCR has won many awards including:
- St. Cloud Small Business of the Year in 1997
- Top 10% Global Partner by t.a.c. (TourAndoverControls).
- Contracting Business Refrigeration Contractor of the Year: 2011
- SMARCA Outstanding Contractor for MN, ND, SD: 2004
- ABC Outstanding Achievement Award for The C&L Project: 1997
- Hill Phoenix Directors Award: 2004, 2005, 2006
- Hill Phoenix Executive Award: 2003, 2004
- ABC Project of Distinction Award of Excellence for Woodcraft Project: 2006
- ABC Silver Safety Award: 2004, 2005, 2006